She Asks

She asks if my son is happy.

"Well, he has been irritable for the past couple of days... but when he is home on our living room floor he is happy, rolling back and forth, vocalizing."

Why do I feel the need to quickly add this? I am afraid she is going to link my answer to her conclusion on whether or not he has good quality of life.

She asks if my son recognizes me.

"Oh, yes... and he knows dad, and brother, and Mari, his caregiver. And I am pretty sure he knows his teachers and classmates."

My son recognizes me, but does he know I am his mother? Does he love me? Does he want my attention more than he wants Mari's?




 She asks if he uses any signing, if he reaches for toys.

"No, not at all. He is very delayed... even compared to other trisomy 13 kids... but I don't mind."

I want her to know, even though she most likely knows, that not all trisomy 13 children are the same. He is not it. He is just one from a wide spectrum.

She hears me say that I don't mind, and she adds---

"You love him for who he is... from day one."

She is right.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autorretrato

The Prophet

Is it Love?