I Must Do the Work of Him Who Sent Me



John 9:1-4

1As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?"  3"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life. 4As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."

20 weeks into my pregnancy with our second son, Caleb Arturo, my husband and I learned that something might be wrong with our little boy. As frightening and disappointing as this news was, I did not want having a healthy child to be the focus of my prayers. In my work as a medical interpreter in a pediatric hospital, I am often surrounded by extremely ill children and their struggling families. How could I request not to be one of them? As the years go by, I am more convinced that a proper reply to the question "Why me?" is "Why not?" In this fallen world, nobody is exempt from trials.



Caleb was born on March 25, 2010 and was diagnosed two days later with Patau’s syndrome or trisomy 13, a chromosomal abnormality caused by the presence of an extra chromosome 13 where there should only be two. This extra chromosome causes profound physical and developmental problems in the child. In fact, in the U.S. only 5 to 10% of children with this syndrome reach their first birthday, and I read somewhere that survivors have an average life expectancy of 10 years.
I had come across Jesus’ words in John 9:1-4 long before I became pregnant with Caleb. When Jesus is asked who had sinned for a man to have been born blind, he replies that neither him nor his parents, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.” He then adds, “As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me.” The focus shifts from “why?” to “what now?” And the answer is, let the work of God be displayed in this man’s life.
I wanted to make this Bible verse my own. Along with a feeble acknowledgment that of course I would love for my son to be born healthy, I began to pray that God would help me display his work in Caleb’s life no matter what the future held for us. I wanted to commit to displaying God’s work in my son’s life whatever our situation might be.
What does displaying God's work in someone's life mean if you are not Jesus?
I believe displaying God’s work is responding the way Jesus would. He would love my son. He would care for him. He would accept and embrace his life the way it is. He would try to better his life like he did for many. He would cry for him out of love, just like he cried for Lazarus. Love is the sustaining force to do whatever it takes. And this is true not only regarding Caleb, but regarding every person who comes into our lives. This is a high calling.
Some may think of a miraculous healing as the one clear sign of God's work being displayed when someone is ill, but I believe that in Caleb's case God's work has and will manifest itself in the journey.
I have seen God’s work in the strength he has given me and my husband to face this challenge.
I have seen God’s work in his changing my definition of beauty to include that which inspires love rather than mere admiration.
I have seen God’s work in my discovery of the profound significance of my son’s smile.
I have seen God’s work in the concern of others and the help we have received.
As I have walked this road, I have struggled to remember to invite God into my journey, but I know the journey would be very different if we walked it alone.
 I don't expect nor ask for a miraculous healing, but I do pray that I notice God’s work through me and through others. I want to be aware of his presence. I want to rest in his embrace.
John 9:1-4 has become a compass for when I lose the way. It brings things into proper focus. It reminds me of the fact that the right question is “What now?” and not “Why?” What I need to do is display God’s work in my son’s life, which in essence means to simply love him.
When the pressure builds up, and I feel I am not doing enough for Caleb.
When I feel like a bad mother because I am not making sure he reaches his “maximum potential.”
When I expect physical miracles from me, this verse frees me up.
Love is the answer, as the cliché goes.
What does the future hold for Caleb? How long will he be with me? I don’t know. One thing is sure though. As long as it is day, as long as I am here, and as long as Caleb is with me, I must do the work of him who sent Jesus. I must display his work. And I will do it joyfully.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Autorretrato

The Prophet

Is it Love?