Name

I looked at the ultrasound screen in the radiology room. It read Morley ^Caleb^ Arturo. Seeing his name on the screen took me back to the time when I was searching for a name for my son. I knew I wanted "Arturo" to be part of his name. "Arturo" is my brother's name.

Arturo is tall and handsome, bright and intense. I've always said he's the smartest of all five of us. So when I learned my son may be born with a chromosomal abnormality that would render him less than "perfect," I second guessed my name choice.

I looked for biblical names, names that would remind me that God was with us. Such a name would be appropriate, even necessary to help us face and embrace whatever was coming our way. But "Arturo"? Could I name a child who would most likely be mentally retarded and have abnormal features "Arturo"? It didn't seem to be a good match. I felt ashamed.

In the end, we chose to name our future baby boy "Caleb Arturo," but I still struggled with the "Arturo" part.

If I asked my brother what he thinks about Caleb being named after him, he would tell me he is honored precisely because Caleb is who he is.

"I praise God because the Kingdom of God turns things upside down," said my brother during a sermon he preached on Easter Sunday 2010 shortly after Caleb was born.

I didn't get it. God turned me upside down, gently shook me up, got my thinking straight, and put me back on my feet. Now I understand: In the Kingdom of God the "least of these" are at the top. My son deserves the best of names.

I chose Caleb's middle name because I love my brother and I love my son. That is reason enough.

Caleb and uncle Arturo, December 2010

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autorretrato

The Prophet

Is it Love?